Saturday, December 5, 2009

RE: Mayakovsky

Now I am quietly waiting for
the catastrophe of my personality
to seem beautiful again,
and interesting, and modern.

--Mayakovsky by Frank O'Hara from Meditations in an Emergency

On Senses


I look and smell like yesterday,
watching the world advance around me
while I exist stuck on a page in a book
I refuse to finish. While I sit, am
I achieving higher thought? Am I advancing
past some transcendental gateway?

I watch. Not observing. Not listening.
I see nothing beautiful, nor anything
atrocious. Real. Concerning
essentials. Food. Shower. In this moment,
that need is more important than the value
of the dollar, or war, or why am I here.

Are my thoughts transcendent? Or are his?

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

!!!! Love the Frank O'Hara quotation.

And your existential quandaries.

Adam said...

told you I would blog again!!

Stephanie said...

Yes, although it was much delayed, mister.

About Me

My photo
Without the world of possibility, what do we have left?

Friends