Sunday, December 20, 2009

RE: A.E. Houseman

Smart lad, to slip betimes away
From fields were glory does not stay
And early though the laurel grows
It withers quicker than the rose.


From "To an Athlete Dying Young" by A.E. Houseman

To an Actor Dying Young

a perfect record
perfect timing
before rumor or
farewell
or terrible metaphor
like riding horses or
snuffing candles
can take shape

rather
existing on scratched
copies of films
cardboard covers
corners frayed from
studious use
archive footage of
method twitches
copied by strangers
in places that were fiction

back when you were you

2 comments:

LadySaga said...

So I know its random but i started reading your blog again (creeper alert) but I am SO STOKED by this post because I thought I was the only one who wrote 'answer poems' to poets...i wrote a feminist critique answer poem to John Donne's Goe: And Catch A Falling star that I'll have to post on my blog sometime.....this is awesome!!

Adam said...

Hey, thanks for reading!

I usually include what I'm inspired by with whatever I'm writing, to give a clue to whoever is reading (usually me, in like two weeks when I'm trying to figure out what I was trying to say).

Anyway, thanks again for reading and Merry Christmas! Hope life is well.

About Me

My photo
Without the world of possibility, what do we have left?

Friends